Shift Engineer Technician
Type: Permanent - Full Time
Hours: 05:45 - 17:45 / 17:45 - 05:45
Salary: £35,946.86 increasing to £41,172.30 after successful completion of their 6 month probationary period
Job Purpose: To provide multi-skilled engineering support to the production stream working as part of the engineering team, responsible for providing a comprehensive maintenance function covering plant, equipment and auxiliary services.
In addition the Engineering Technician will strive to continuously improve asset performance by engaging in continuous improvement and problem solving activities.
Execute engineering work orders as assigned by the Engineering Shift Team Leader in a timely and efficient manner.
When issues arise in the production process or on a production line, identify the root cause of the issue, initiate an appropriate action plan to resolve, then report and document actions taken. Escalate issues to the Engineering Group Leader as advised by the company escalation procedure. Support other members of the Engineering and Production teams out of office hours, with logical decision making on Engineering issues.
Operate and maintain a computerised maintenance management system (CMMS) for production and site services that will include:
- Asset register
- Asset history
- Safety risk assessment
- Machine settings
- Critical parts list
- Condition monitoring, autonomous, preventative and predictive maintenance routines
- Completed work orders
- Standard work
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)
Quality, Safety, Food Safety, Health and Environment
Ensure all engineering work carried out in the production areas meets the requirements of Quality, Safety, Food Safety, Health and Environment policies and procedures.
- Complete and receive relevant hand-over documentation and communication to next shift or from the previous shift to ensure continuity.
- Ensure all work competed is accurately documented in a daily shift report in a format detailed by the Engineering Manager.
- Detail all spare parts used and required to the Engineering Stores team and Engineering Shift Team Leader.
Training and Development
- Attend training courses as required.
- Partake and when relevant deliver technical training to the production stream team members with the emphasis being on one-point lessons on the key pieces of equipment.
- Initiate and drive continuous improvement activity in both production and engineering department projects.
- Work closely with the production stream team using continuous improvement methodologies to focus / prioritise problem solving efforts to improve asset performance.
- Calibrate, maintain, troubleshoot and repair electronic equipment to circuit board level.
- Programme and interrogate a range of electronic control equipment using computer or diagnostic instrumentation.
- Follow complex electrical, pneumatic, hydraulic and mechanical assembly drawings to ensure the prompt identification of production equipment faults
- Demonstrate CAD skills to update/alter engineering drawings when required.
Production and Processing
- Demonstrate knowledge of:
- Raw materials
- Production processes
- Equipment operation
- Manufacturing costs
- QC processes and procedures
- Other manufacturing techniques
For maximising the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
Engineering Shift Team Leader Stand In
- Stand in when required for any of the Engineering Group Leaders to cover holiday, training or sickness, as requested.
- When standing in for the Group Leader
- Attend all meetings as requested.
- Generate reports for Engineering Meeting
- Delegate work to Shift Engineering Team
- Report on and escalate production and engineering related issues
Internal Customer Service
- Demonstrate in actions and attitude that Engineering is a support function to Production.
- Engage in production issues and provide support where required for the overall benefit of the Company.
- Monitor the performance of equipment when running, and discuss any issues and improvements with Production Group Leaders, Team Leaders and Operators.
Specific Skill Requirements
- Time Served Multi-Skilled Technician Apprenticeship or Electrical/Mechanical Apprenticeship with additional recognised training
- Minimum NVQ Level 3 in Engineering Maintenance (Electrical and Mechanical) or Level 3 BTEC in Engineering or ONC/D in Engineering
- Proficient written, numerical and verbal skills
- Proficiency and fluency of English language (oral and written)
- Ability to demonstrate good computer competency in MS Office and any CMMS systems
- Strong competence in both mechanical and electrical engineering, with a bias towards electrical engineering
- Understanding of pneumatic and hydraulic systems
- Demonstrate PLC programming and system diagnosis skills
- Knowledge of circuit boards, computer hardware and software
- Experience of CAD system usage for electrical, mechanical, pneumatic and hydraulic drawings
- Can demonstrate understanding and previous use of continuous improvement tools and techniques including:
- Team oriented to enable production and engineering department to reach targets
- Demonstrates a can-do attitude
- Demonstrates job ownership
- Embraces change, adaptable and maintains effectiveness in varying environments
- Committed to continuous process and personal improvement
- Learns quickly in a changing environment
- Can demonstrate a logical approach to fault diagnosis
- 24 days holiday + 3 bank Hols ( Xmas, Boxing day and New years day)
- Auto Enrolment Pension
- Long Term Service Awards
- Subsidised Canteen
- Onsite free and secure Car Park
Poole Bakery produces chilled savoury rolls, savoury hot pies, pasties and slices. The business has been producing products at its current site since 1937 and previously as Millers of Poole.
Home of the Walls pastry brand, Poole Bakery is proud of its dedicated Research & Development Team and Manufacturing Operations, based on a culture of continuous improvement and innovation is high on its agenda. Poole has a strong culture of consumer insight. This is underpinned by in-depth food knowledge, with dedicated on-site development chefs working on new products that are driven by food values and quality.